Thursday, November 30, 2006

Lunch Wednesday 29 November - Gold Coast Stew


Not 100% sure where I picked this up - I think I have sort of adapted it from the old Betty Crocker Cookbook my Mom used to have. It was a hardbound, loose leaf cookbook with a red & white gingham print cover.

The images I found with Google don't look like it, so maybe it was someting else.

Anyway, I wonder what ever happened to that book? Probably still at her house.

I have been making this soup for yonks. When I was doing the peppers and eggs the other morning, I was reminded of this dish and decided to use the other halves of the mixed peppers to make some Gold Coast Stew. I think the original had chicken, but I don't eat dead birds so I used some soy chunks instead. I have also made this with plain Quorn fillets shredded up, too.

Gold Coast Stew
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 onion, cut into rings (about 180g)
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 few red or green chilli peppers, to taste
1/2 each of three large mixed peppers cut into strips, about 250g in total (I used red, green and yellow peppers)
1 can (400g )chopped tomatoes in juice
1/2 pint vegetable stock
30 g dried soya chunks
45g reduced fat peanut butter

Cook the onions and garlic in the oil until softened. Add the chillis and mixed peppers and cook over low heat until soft.

Add the canned tomatoes, vegetable stock, soy chunks and cook until the soy chunks are tender, about 30 minutes.

Stir in the peanut butter and serve.

Nutrition Data per serving
Calories (kcal) 337.2
Carbohydrate (g) 32.3
Protein (g) 17.7
Fat (g) 15.7
Fibre (g) 7.5

No comments: