Thursday, November 30, 2006

Monday 20 November - The Iowa Vegetarian Blues

OK, so I am not really vegetarian. I eat fish. So I am either an unprincipled, backsliding, failed vegetarian, a demi-vegetarian or a pescetarian, depending on who you believe.

In any event, Iowa is a challenge of you don't wolf down half a cow at each siting.

Super-8'ed my breakfast with a seeded bagel and a go an making microwave oatmeal. Two tablespoons oats in a plastic bowl and about 3/4 cup of water. You need to watch it like a hawk to prevent is over flowing and stir every 30 seconds or so far it starts to boil, but it worked out surprisingly well.

Then I ate a maple iced doughnut! - Must avoid the "free" doughnuts"... but I get this thing in my head like they are already paid for, they are included in the price of the room, therefore I must eat them. And I guess I am still making healthier choices than lots of my fellow Super-8ers. I watched one guy eat a waffle with 8 portions of margarine and about 3/4 of a pitcher of imitation maple syrup (basically, high fructose corn syrup). He then followed this by 3 doughnuts and a bowl of Froot Loops.

Like I said, maybe my choices are so bad after all.

Lunch was another salad - lettuce, broccoli slaw, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, spring onions some jalapenos and asparagus. I don't know who invented broccoli slaw, but I do love it and s/he must be making a fortune off it as it is 50% what most people would consider garbage. It is made of the stems of broccoli, peeled and shredded, shredded cabbage cores, shredded carrots and shredded red cabbage. I first discovered it a few years back in Iowa and it now makes my shopping list whenever I return. Must try making it at home.


After my salad I had 1/2 pack for Stouffer's Frozen Macaroni and Cheese, which was OK. But I am falling into that fattening "cheese for protein" rut and need to avoid.

Picked up some Spicy Crispy Lima Beans in another of Ian's favourite stores, Big Lots. They were OK, but so loaded with citric acid that I could not taste the spiciness.

I know that chilli heat sensors are pretty jaded from years of abuse, but I do think I must have an exceptional tolerance for spicy stuff. I picked up a jar of Vlasic jalapeno slices in the Fare Way. I thought they were pleasantly hot - normally I am disappointed at how tame pickled jalapenos are. Anyway, Ian tried a few and then kept going on about how some poor Iowa housewife was going to her the top of her head blown off putting them on her nachos and expecting them to be like most pickled jalapenos.

Same story every time he ate one. Meanwhile, I could quite happily eat 15-20 rings are a sitting.

Dinner time rolled around and this time I opted for a salad made from broad beans, celery, spring onions & a sachet of vinaigrette dressing from the plane. This was followed by a baked potato with some blue cheese and broccoli.

I am eating more cheese in a week here than I normally eat in a month any more.

No comments: