Thursday, November 30, 2006

Tuesday 21 November - A trip to Mom's house

Let's see, food today was a bagel with peanut butter and some oatmeal at the Super-8. Avoided the doughnuts today.

Someone pat me on the head and lend me some halo polish. Went looking for a picture with the search terms "angel" and "halo" and found this:



How miserable does that dog look? I am with Jay Leno - dressing up animals is WRONG.

For lunch I had the other half of the Stouffer's macaroni & cheese, some green beans and a salad of lettuce, broccoli slaw, spring onions and cherry tomatoes.

Spent the afternoon at my Mom's house, cleaning gutters and raking leaves.

The house was boarded up by the City in August of 2005 as it was empty. I have been wanting to get inside and see what condition it is in ever since, but I have no authority as I am not the owner or owner's agent. My brother is my Mom's Power of Attorney since January, so he has authority, but in true Ian style he has rubbed everyone up the wrong way and nearly got himself arrested in in January when he and Alan went there and climbed in through the second floor windows. I keep telling him to contact the City authorities and get things cleared up BEFORE we go - show them that he is PoA etc but he is of the opinion to let sleeping dogs lie. Well, I find that sleeping dogs bite when you step on them. Better to wake them up and let them know you are coming.

Had a good appetite after all that raking etc. Dinner was a salad of the usual (lettuce, broccoli slaw, spring onions & cucumber) plus some Uncle Ben's microwave Brown & Wild Rice, 1/2 tin each of butter beans and lima beans and a big bowl of Brussels sprouts.




I think I may be one of the few people in the world who likes lima beans. I bought 4 tins of Libby's Lima beans to bring back to England with me.

You would think that finding an image of Libby's tinned lima beans online would be easy, as Libby's is one of the biggest vegetable retailers in the US. You would be wrong!

They appear to be a part of Seneca Foods and their website cleverly links back to 127.0.0.1 - the loop back address of their server. Not so bright, despite all the veggies.

Seneca produces many major US brands of canned veggies - Aunt Nellie's, Stokley's, Libby's and many store brands, too. They used to have a television ad campaign with a crazed jingle that said:

"When it says Libby's Libby's Libby's
On the label, label, label
You will love it, love it love it
On your table, table table...."

No comments: