Thursday, August 03, 2006

Dinner Tuesday 1 August - Pan Seared Monkfish with Pesto


Pan Seared Monkfish with Pesto
110g fresh monkfish fillet
30g fresh pesto (see below)
salt & pepper to taste

Spray a non-stick skillet with a little olive oil. Season the monkfish fillet and add to the hot pan. Cook for 2-3 minutes each side, or until just barely done. Cooking time will vary according to the thickness of your fillet.

Top the fish with freshly made pesto and pop under a pre-heated grill until the pesto is bubbling and just starting to turn golden brown.

Nutrition Summary
Calories (kcal) 199.7
Protein (g) 21.4
Carbohydrate (g) 1.4
Fat (g) 12.2
Fibre (g) 0.6

Served here with mixed leaves and Santini/green tiger tomatoes.

Normally of course, pesto is made with pine nuts. Had a bit of a disaster today though. It was VERY windy here today; so much so that when I got in from Oxford St I found that the wind had blown one of my window boxes down. My tomatoes were scattered all about (the vines are OK, at least) and my globe basil plant was more or less crushed.

So, I plucked off off the broken basil branches and found I had 50g of fresh basil - rather a lot of a herb that does not keep very well.

I was going to make some pesto and have my monkfish grilled with pesto tonight for din-din, but found I did not have (or more likely, cannot find) and pine nuts. But, I did have almonds, so I tried them instead and it makes a very nice pesto.

Fresh Almond Pesto
50g fresh basil leaves
4 cloves garlic
30g parmigiano reggiano
30g almonds
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
salt & black pepper to taste.

Whizz everything together in a food processor or blender until smooth. If you have lots of free time, make it in a mortar & pestle (and build up your upper arms).

Makes about 3 servings/60g each
Per Serving
Calories (kcal) 195.8
Protein (g) 5.5
Carbohydrate (g) 1.7
Fat (g) 18.5
Fibre(g) 0.3