Thursday, August 24, 2006

Lunch Thursday 24 August - Harissa Hummus & Salad

Harissa Hummus & Salad

You may recall that, a while back, I got a huge bag of chillis from Chapel Market (see entry for Dinner 26 July). I made many condiments from these chillis. One of those condiments was harissa, bringing the number of containers of harissa I own up to three; one bottle of Les Comptoirs de Carthage Harissa, one tube of Ferrero Harissa (bought in Harvey Nichols when I had a cold and was yearning for something I could taste) and now my homemade jar.

Anyway, I decided to add some to my usual hummus recipe and it is very nice indeed.


Harissa
1 tablespoon cumin seeds
1 tablespoon coriander seeds
1 tablespoon caraway seeds
100g red chilli peppers
2 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoon paprika

Toast the seeds together briefly in a dry frying pan until they are fragrant. be careful not to burn them.

Either crush the seeds in a mortar & pestle with the olive oil, or use a spice grinder/food processor. Add the paprika and mix well.

A little goes a long way.

Harissa Hummus
1 teaspoon harissa
juice of one lemon
2 cloves garlic
50g tahini
1 tin (drained) chick peas (about 240g)

Process everything together in a food processor until smooth. Add a bit of the canned bean liquor if the mixture is too stiff. Season to taste with salt & pepper, if needed.

Serve with celery sticks, carrot batons etc.