Monday, April 09, 2007

Monday 9 April - Goofin' off in NYC

Well, started the day with a big salad. Not your typical breakfast, but I am still waking up at weird hours and it was what I felt like eating at 6:00, so it was what I ate.

I had romaine, broccoli slaw, alfalfa sprouts, cherry tomatoes, artichokes hearts, a mushroom and some crumbled blue cheese.

On reviewing my shoe excess, I decided it was, er, excessive to have 4 new pairs of trainers/sneakers, so I decided to return two pairs (Reeboks) back to 34th Street and kept the Converse All Stars.

Spent most of the day helping Lisa's step dad purchase a new PC and the set it all up for him. Lisa made me some lunch - mixed salad and some whiting she had prepared.

Then I set off to meet up with Alex in hopes of a good drink or several and another meal out in NY.

But, it was not to be. When I popped into the office to meet him, he was in a very long and involved 'phone conversation with a demanding & importnant client who wanted to meet up that night. So, sadly, our plans got cancelled.

Felt a bit dejected & at a loose end as I had been looking forward to catching up and spending some time together, but I know he would not cancel unless there was no alternative, so I tried to recoup what I could.

Wandered about a bit from Varick Street, back into the Village. By this time I was hungry again, so stopped and had a slice on West 4th Street, deep in the heart of NYU country. The entire West Village now seems to belong to NYU.

Set off again and decided to see if one of my old favourite shops was still around - Aphrodisia on Bleeker Street.

And it was! And the same wonderful woman who has run it since the year dot is still there. And she still has an amazing collection of spice, herbs, teas and medicinals on sale. And she still has two beautiful, spoiled cats, gray tabbies this time. I remember 25 or 30 odd years ago when I first happened on the shop, she had a beautiful pair of white cats.



Aphrodisia Herb Shoppe
264 Bleeker Street
New York 10012

Well, I had a good old time playing with the cats and buying a few things - ancho chiles, file powder, giant cous-cous, tellicherry pepper, dried lobster mushroom, black sesame...

Wonderful and the combination of foodie pleasures and cat patting elevated my mood considerably.

Started wending my way back to the hotel and picked up some wine along the way. Decided to use up what I had in the fridge rather than go out, so had another big salad, this time comprising carrot, mushroom, radishes, asparagus, sprouts, cherry tomatoes & crab.

Pedometer says I have walked 24,039 step for a total of 8.34 miles.

Tomorrow is my last day in NYC and it has been a trip with some ups and downs. I had a great birthday, but feel like I had hardly gone out at all and wish I could have caught up with more friends. Still, I guess this is what happens with last minute trips on holiday weekends.

No comments: