Friday, April 20, 2007

Lunch Friday 20 April - Tortellini with Creamy Basil & Tomato Sauce


Tortellini with Creamy Basil & Tomato Sauce
1 large tomato, deseeded and diced (about 150g)
handful fresh basil leaves
20g grated Parmesan cheese
1 portion of Veloute sauce
1/2 pack (210g cooked) sun dried tomato & Scamorza cheese tortellini

Back in January, I got these tortellini in Sainsburys. I ate the mushroom ones at the time, but the sun dried tomato & Scamorza cheese ones have been in the freezer, so I figured it was time they got eaten up.

I had some plain veloute sauce leftover, so I added some fresh tomato chunks, basil & Parmesan and used it as a sauce.

I found these tortellini disappointing, too. I tried one on it's own and it was pretty tasteless. I could not taste the smokiness of the Scamorza at all. Anyway, with the sauce they were OK, but another one I don't think I would try again. In fact, I chucked out the other half of the pack.

Basic Plain Veloute Sauce
1 pint vegetable stock
2 tablespoon cornflour
4 tablespoon single cream (30ml)
salt & white pepper to taste

Mix together the vegetable stock and cornflower. Cook over low heat, stirring all the while, until thickened. Add the cream. Check the seasoning and serve.

No comments: