Thursday, September 28, 2006

Dinner Wednesday 27 September - Quorn "Ribsters", Onion Gravy & Veggies


Quorn "Ribsters" with New Potatoes, Broccoli and Dwarf Beans

This is more clearing out the freezer! I have a load of Quorn products in there at the moment, from the many Sainsbury's "Buy One, get One Free" offers or the "2 for £2.50" offers which I never seem to be able to resist....

This are supposed to be like pork ribs, but you could not prove it my me, as I have never eaten ribs and have not eaten pork in over 35 years.

On the plus side, I have now cleared out enough stuff that I can get three - that's right THREE ice cube trays in the freezer. As a Yank, I like ice in my drinks (as essential for a vodka & tonic as lime wedges). Now I can fit them in again, so this makes me happy.

Onion Gravy
one large onion, halved and sliced finely (about 200g)
10g butter
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon dry English mustard
1 tablespoon cornflour or sauce flour
500ml vegetable stock (homemade or cube, powder whatever)

Saute the onions slowly in the butter until they are browned and soft - at least 30 minutes. Add the stock, Worcestershire sauce, mustard powder and salt/pepper to taste. Simmer together for 30 minutes. Mix the flour with a little water to make a paste and add to the gravy. Simmer for another 5-10 minutes and serve.

Makes 2 servings

Nutrition Data per serving
Calories (kcal) 105.3
Carbohydrate (g) 12.2
Protein (g) 2.4
Fat (g) 5.3
Fibre (g) 1.4


Nutrition Data for whole meal:

Nutrition Data
Calories (kcal) 366.4
Carbohydrate (g) 45.1
Protein (g) 24.7
Fat (g) 10.7
Fibre (g) 11.4

I used an (new) item from the condiment hoard for the first time in this gravy. "Uncle Roy's Gravy Salt", puchased during the recent Waitrose frenzy. It is just salt & caramel, so I don't know why I bothered. Nice label (I am such a sucker).

Uncle Roy's Gravy Salt