Sunday, September 17, 2006

Insane food buying strikes again!



I live near the Brunswick Centre in London. Way back when, I used to go to a pretty naff Safeway's there, because it was the only supermarket in the area.

Then Sainsbury's Islington opened and I never looked back.

On 20 July, a new Waitrose opened in the Brunswick Centre, where the old Safeway's was. Now, I have been a fan of Waitrose since I first went into one on the King's Road in 1985 (when I was staying the The Cale Street Hostel, which is no more).

They sent me a little leaflet and three vouchers - two for £4.00 off your order if you spend £40 or more and one for £6.00 off if you spend £60.00 or more. I have been ignoring them, but they expire 16 September and I succumbed to their lure.

A while back, I registered with their online service (well, Ocado as Waitrose proper don't deliver in my area) so I could browse at home.

Tuesday, I made my first foray Took a stupidly roundabout walk down there, trying to remember the shortest way and choosing possibly the longest way instead. Then I spent a good hour wandering the aisles, entranced by all the new products. And I spent £40 and used a voucher up.

Wednesday, I went back and spent another £40.

Thursday I resisted, but Friday I went back again and spent £60. Used up all my vouchers and totally refilled the cupboards. All my wearing down the food hoard has been undone.

And to make things worse, Ocado sent me an email offering me £10.00 and a free cookbook if I would place my first order online with them. So I did that too and spent £85.00.

Was not best impressed with their service - the driver was 1 hour and 45 minutes late (although he did call to say he was running late) and he did not arrive until 22:45 on Saturday night. I was dead tired as I had done the 10 mile London Bridges walk to raise fund for The Children's Society and I just wanted to go to sleep.

When I unpacked the order, I found the following which I did not order

  • Cathedral City Cheddar (which I would never order - cheap cheese mountain stuff)
  • a bag of clementines
  • a bag of red grapes

I had ordered and was billed for but did not receive:

  • low fat chive dip
  • low fat taramasalata
  • 2 boxes speciality cherry tomatoes (Petit Cherie)

And one of my boxes of blackberries was squished.

Anyway, I reported it all on their website as they suggested, but I digress. I cannot resist "a bargain" and so I have crammed the cupboards with food AGAIN, just when I was starting to get a tiny grip on things.

Must do better.

P.S. - the new Brunswick Centre will be FABULOUS when it is all done



The Brunswick Centre