Saturday, September 30, 2006

Lunch Saturday 30 September - Wild Pacific Salmon and Salad plus Dill Bread


Last night, I had some yoghurt that needed using up and was trying to think of what to do with it. Figured I would use it in a loaf of bread (as I was about out of feather rolls anyway).

Flipped through the recipe box and found recipe for Dan's Dilly Bread, given to me by my cousin Betsy's husband, Dan Matt. Dan was a chef when I knew him, many years ago. Just Googled his name and found this:

Daniel J. Matt

The original recipe calls for 1 cup of ricotta cheese, but I figured yoghurt would do. I also used 2 shallots in place of the 1 tablespoon of minced onion called for in the original. And I used more flour as I had more liquid. Other than that, it is pretty much Dan's recipe.

Dan's Dilly Bread
2 fluid ounces water water
1 tablespoon dried yeast
2 tablespoons sugar
240g natural, unsweetened yoghurt
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 duck egg
2 tablespoons dill seed
1 shallots, diced fine (40g)
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
450g strong white bread flour

Mix the yeast with the warm water and one tablespoon sugar. Leave to one side until foaming, about 10 minutes.

Mix together the yoghurt, egg, other tablespoon sugar, salt, dill seeds, & diced shallots.

Add the yeast mixture and stir well. Add the baking soda.

Gradually add the flour and stir until the dough is too stiff to stir any more. Turn out onto a floured board and knead, incorporating the rest of the flour.

Place is a greased bowl, cover with cling film and leave in fridge overnight.

Next morning, knock back the dough and knead again. Form into a loaf and place into a 2 pound loaf tin. Allow to rise until doubled in bulk. Bake in a moderate oven, Gas Mark 5, for40 minutes or until it sound hollow when tapped.

This makes one loaf of approximately 840g.

Nutrition Data per gram
Calories (kcal) 2.4
Carbohydrate (g) 0.4
Protein (g) 0.1
Fat (g) 0.0

Never understood why this recipe calls for 1/4 teaspoon of soda (amidst all the flour and yeast), but I add it anyway. The original recipe does not call for rising overnight in fridge - I got tired last night and did not want to wait up for it to rise and bake.