Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Breakfast Wednesday 28 February - Scotch Broth


Scotch Broth
2 teaspoons olive oil
200g onions (one large onion or a couple small ones)
150g celery (about 5 ribs)
70g carrot (one average carrot)
2 pints vegetable stock
60g pearl barley
235 swede (half a fair sized swede)
1/4 pack (87g) Quorn "mince"

Saute the onions, celery and carrot in the oil until softened. Add the barley, swede and Quorn and cover with the vegetable stock. Simmer over low heat, covered, until barley is tender, about 45 minutes.

2 Servings

Nutrition Data per serving
Calories (kcal) 271.5
Carbohydrate (g) 40.5
Protein (g) 14.3
Fat (g) 6.6
Fibre (g) 12.9

This might seem an odd choice for breakfast, but it was there and I felt like eating it and I wanted a good, hearty breakfast before heading off to the gym. I got a free guest pass when I signed up, so invited Lisa to join me and we are going to make a day of it.

No comments: