Saturday, February 10, 2007

Dinner Friday 9 February - Salad with "Bacon" and Avocado


Salad with Quorn "Bacon" and Avocado
70g wild rocket
70g baby spinach
100g romaine
handful each parsley & coriander
spray olive oil
a little white balsamic vinegar
1 small avocado, cut into chunks (about 100g)
juice ½ lime
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 fat vine tomato (about 150g)
½ pack Quorn "Bacon style" Rashers

Shred to Roamine and combine with the rocket, baby spinach & herbs. Spray with a little olive oil and some white balsamic vinegar.

Mix the garlic and lime juice with lashings of black pepper. Toss with the avocado chunks and add the to salad along with the chopped tomato.

Fry the Quorn strips in a non stick pan and tear the strips into the salad.

Nutrition Data
Calories (kcal) 343.3
Carbohydrate (g) 16.6
Protein (g) 16.5
Fat (g) 23.4
Fibre (g) 9.7

A couple of new ingredients, courtesy of a trip to Waitrose. I picked up the Quorn Bacon style strips there. I am still looking for something as tasty as Morningstar Farms Streak Strips, which sadly are no longer available in the UK as they could not 100% guarantee that there would be no GM soy used.

The Quorn stuff was OK, but still no Morningstar Farms Streak Strips. They were really tasty and went crispy when cooked - none of the other veggie "bacon" products I have tried seem to do that.

I have one box of Streaky Strips left in the freezer - I should use them soon. It would be a shame if they were to get freezer burnt, as they are the last I will have in the foreseeable future!

The white balsamic vinegar in a pump bottle just struck me as a nice idea and I really enjoyed some cornichons in white balsamic that I bought in M&S, so thought I would give it a try. No picture of the the white balsamic on the Waitrose website, but the ordinary balsamic in a spray will give you and idea

1 comment:

Karen Cross said...

Has anyone found any veggie bacon product as good as Morning Star Farms Streaky Strips? Specifically, ones that go crispy as taste as good? Nothing else I've tried comes close.