Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Breakfast Thursday 18 January - Rocha Pear and Pound Cake


Hmmm - I don't seem to have mentioned the pound cake I made. And looking through the pictures, I don't seem to have taken a picture either, so I have included only a representative pound cake image.

Well, on 4 January I decided to make pound cake. I was coming home from getting my ankle x-rayed and being told that it showed signs of "significant deterioration". I knew that anyway, but it was a bit of a bummer to have it confirmed.

Anyway, got home and thought I'd do some baking. Dug out my grandmother's pound cake recipe and made it.

I gave one to L. and gave half of the other one to my elderly next door neighbours. That left me with half a cake, but it is pretty calorific, so I have been rationing it out. Luckily, it keeps really well. In fact, I would say it is better when it is a week old than when it is fresh!

Anyway, I had the last bit of it for breakfast, toasted. And I had a nice fat Rocha pear, too.

Pound Cake
1 pound butter
1 pound sugar
1 pound sponge flour
5 eggs

Cream butter until very light.
Add sugar and cream together until very light.
Add eggs and cream together until very light.
Add flour and.... you get the idea.

Spoon into two large buttered and floured loaf pans and bake at 325°F (Gas 3) for about 1 hour.

You can add vanilla extract if you like. Some old fashioned cooks add mace. You either need an electric mixer or biceps like Schwarzenegger to make this successfully.

These days, it should more likely be called "Half Kilo Cake" as I make it with ½ kilo of each ingredient.

Made with 500g each of butter, sugar and sponge flour plus 5 eggs, it made two loaves weighed 1715g in total.

Nutrition Data per gram
Calories (kcal) 4.6
Carbohydrate (g) 0.5
Protein (g) 0.1
Fat (g) 0.3
Fibre (g) 0.0

No comments: