Monday, May 14, 2007

Monday 14 May - Am I feeling a bit better?

Can it be that I am getting better? May the antibiotics are finally kicking in. Anyway, not feeling quite so rubbish this AM.

Had a quick breakfast of coffee and banana and went to the gym for the first time since I am home from California. Did my cardio workout, but gently - some exercise, but not to strenuous.

Lunch was a baked succotash. First time I have ever made this - I was browsing around on line for inspiration for what to so with lima beans and okra. I always see to do the same okra dishes over and over, so I thought I would try something new.

I am the first to admit this does NOT look particularly delicious:


But it actually tasted pretty decent. Not sure I would make it exactly this way again, but it was something different anyway. Most of the recipes seemed to call for cream/butter or evaporated milk, but I just made this with thickened vegetable stock as a sauce.

Baked Succotash
1 onion, chopped fine (140g)
125g okra
1 can sweetcorn, drained (272g)
1 can lima beans (240g)
2 spring onions, sliced (20g)
100g cherry tomatoes

400ml vegetable stock
30g cornflour

75g breadcrumbs
25g cheddar cheese

Combine the vegetables. Mix together the stock and cornflour, then cook over low heat until thickened. Pour over the vegetables and mix well. Turn into a casserole dish. Season with salt, pepper and crushed red chillis (if liked).

Mix together the bread crumbs and cheese and sprinkle over the top. Bake in a moderate oven for about 1 hour.


Makes 2 large servings or 4 small servings


Nutrition Data per serving (for 2)
Calories (kcal) 481.3
Carbohydrate (g) 73.0
Protein (g) 19.0
Fat (g) 12.6
Fibre (g) 10.2

Dinner was a nice, light and simple composed salad again, after the succotash tonnage at lunch.

Composed Salad
3 quails eggs, hard boiled
100g pickled beetroot
100g fine beans, cooked
2 tomatoes, sliced
50g smoked mackerel
50g hot smoked salmon

Nutrition Data
Calories (kcal) 419.5
Carbohydrate (g) 19.2
Protein (g) 28.5
Fat (g) 25.2
Fibre (g) 4.2

No comments: